Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Easy Peasy Junk-Food Vegan

Ok, so I admit it.  I use a lot of processed vegan products.  I like to cook, but I also like having the option of whipping something together at a moment's notice.  In many vegan circles, this is heresy, I know.  But here at very-nearly-vegan, I hope to create a little space that isn't so uptight.  I agree that all organic, fresh, homeade foods are best.  But I also live in the real world where sometimes you just don't have the time.  So I do my best, and move on.  

As I mentioned previously, I am working on my Masters degree, which takes up a lot of my time.  Last week was term paper time, which is always a time of much weeping and gnashing of teeth in the James household.  Because of this, my weekly cooking time was greatly reduced, as was my will to be creative.  The thing is though, during these times of stress, you crave something yummy even more than when you have the time to really cook.  So my solution was some prepackaged goodies to help me survive.





Here we have Gardein Chik'n Scallopini, boxed Mac and Chreese, and Green Giant Grillers.  I like to bread the scallopini in vegenaise and panko bread crumbs, and then heat them in the oven on an oiled cookie sheet at 350 for about 20 minutes or until brown.  The grillers (a mixture of potatoes and veggies) get heated in the microwave for 6 minutes, and the mac and cheese is prepared almost the same way as the Kraft version.  After your bread the Chik'n, really most of the "cooking" can be done from the couch, while you wait for the buzzer to let you know dinner is ready.  Heat up some frozen peas, and voila! A balanced, and super yummy dinner.  Awesome.





Nothing beats a dinner that took like 20 minutes from freezer to table.  Unless of course YOU want to come cook from scratch for me.... someone else cooking beats doing it yourself any day. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Oh yummy! Where did you get the dairy free mac & cheese??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whole foods carries it, and I have seen it on veganessentials.com. It's pretty good! :)

    ReplyDelete