Tuesday, November 2, 2010

There's something fishy about these crab cakes....

They aren't real! :) Ok, so I know technically crab cakes are a little out of season.  But one of the great things about being vegan, is that since we don't eat real crabs, there is then no such thing as crab season! :)  Due to the ri-doncu-lously cold weather that has just rolled in, I felt like having one last defiant summer style meal.  Due to the fact that I had a soon to expire package of crab flavored match meat sitting in the freezer, I thought that was as good a reason as any to make crab cakes.  If you're unfamiliar with match meat, here it is:


This was actually my first experience cooking with match meat, but I have to say it worked really well.  It was easy to cook with, and the taste was really superb.  Now, I can't tell you if they tasted like crab cakes, cause' I have never had a real one.... but they were yummy! If you need more info than that, I guess you'll just have to make em yourself, and tell me if they taste like crab, LOL.

Here's the ingredient list:
1 pkg crab flavored match meat
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup unbleached flour
1 cup almond milk
1/2 a small onion, minced, or several tbs of dried minced onion
1/2 tsp salt
dash of cayenne
1/2 Tsp mustard
2 tsp old bay seasoning
2 tbs vegenaise
panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp paprika



In a small sauce pan, mix oil and flour, over low heat, and then add milk and salt.  Cook until thick.

In another bowl, mix the thawed match meat with all ingredients except for the bread crmbs and paprika.  Chill for 3-4 hours.  (I didn't do this, but my cakes were a little smushy, so I think this wold help)

Shape the mixture into little cakes, and roll in a mix of bread crumbs and paprika. Fry the cakes in either canola or olive oil.  (They're still bad for you as oils, but they are the lesser of the evils...)  Make sure they get nice and crispy!

Serve with vegan tartar sauce, mmmmmmmmm. :)



I served them with corn on the cob, peas, and crescent rolls, though biscuits would have been better I think.  All in all, huge success of a meal, that even my husband loved.

4 comments:

  1. HI Sandy!
    I am so lazy-when I make "crabbies" I don't use any moisture or flour...they will hold together fine without-(my husband and I are always dieting-so we watch the flour) and if you like a smoother texture inside, use some bread crumbs in the mix as well as outside..People always ask me about using eggs in them, no need. we use a vegetable gum in the crab, so that keeps it together. But, my recipe is very similar to yours in the seasoning.
    Allison (founder of MATCH vegan meats).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you're the founder?? How cool! I love your crab meat, it's so yummy! :) I will definitely take your tips about the flour and bread crumbs. There was definitely no need for an egg, I think I just should have let the mixture "set" before frying them. When we ate the leftovers, and they had a chance to firm up they were PERFECTION. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool, wonder if i can get that in IL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, you can get it anywhere. I ordered it online at www.veganessentials.com :)

    ReplyDelete