Sunday, February 13, 2011

Always Read Your Labels...

So this weekend I learned a lesson about label reading the hard way.  As some of you may know, I am a HUGE fan of Tofutti products.  Their sour cream, cream cheese, and ice cream are hands down the best vegan susbtitutes I have had from any company.  I had alway's wanted to try one of their more obscure products, Mintz's Blintzes.  I had seen them on the tofutti website, but never in person, until recently.  On a trip to Trader Joe's I was thrilled to finally see them in person, and didn't hesitate to snap up two boxes.  This is what they look like:


As I suspected, they were wonderful.  I love blintze's, but these dairy free beauties were the best I had ever had.  I was so excited!  They were beyond easy to prepare too.  I just lightly fried them in some canola oil, and topped with fresh strawberries and bluberries and soy whip.  O.....M.....G.....



The crepe part was light and crispy, the faux cheese filling was creamy, lightly sweet and delicious.... the whole combination was so good I wanted to lick the plate.  I was so excited, I couldn't wait to blog about it.  I giddily grabbed the box just to check the nutrition info and calories, so I could brag about how much healthier they were than real cheese blintzes, when I noticed something startling... they contain EGG WHITES!! Noooooooooo!  I haven't been this disappointed in years. :(  I thought all tofutti products were vegan, but I should have read lables instead of assuming.  I should have thought of the fact that this company makes dairy free products primarily to help people keep kosher, and egg whites are kosher, no matter how UN-vegan they may  be.  This is an important lesson in being vegan, you can never assume something is vegan without reading the label.  I guess we all learn the hard way! 

I suppose that since they only contain a little egg white, they technically fall under the category of Very Nearly Vegan, but I will still (at least mostly) avoid them in the future.  If you are only vegetarian, I would definitely recommend them, on a deliciousness scale.  They certainly made for an awesome Sunday brunch before I knew about the egg whites, I must say!

No comments:

Post a Comment